Athletes with high arches often struggle to find comfortable shoes that propel their workout to the next level. Dealing with pain and discomfort from flat shoes without adequate support can ruin a runner’s passion for the sport, especially when it takes them out of the race. Run Fast with our recommended Best Running Shoes for Athletes.
Thankfully, there are plenty of running shoes that cater to athletes with high arches. With our top six picks, you can compare features and choose the shoes that are right for your athletic pursuits. This list features both men’s and women’s sizes of every model of shoe.
What Are High Arches?
High arches, or supinated feet, mean that you carry your weight in the heels and balls of your feet. Because your arches are higher than normal, you might experience pain and discomfort when wearing shoes that are relatively flat, such as sandals or casual sneakers.
According to the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society, high arches are sometimes hereditary, and parents may notice arch problems even in small children.
What Ailments Result from High Arches
Having high arches means that your feet do not absorb shock well because of their positioning. Long-term, high arches can cause stress fractures, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, or calluses.
Rather than struggling with the after effects of untreated high arches, seeking solutions before severe pain begins will help your body and your workout. Inserts can properly position feet and relieve pain in different types of shoes, but choosing the right shoe is the first step toward exercising in comfort.
How to Choose the Best Running Shoes for Athletes
Runners with high arches should look for neutral running shoes, Dick’s Sporting Goods’ guide suggests. Neutral running shoes have midsole cushioning, giving feet better shock absorption. Whether a shoe is neutral or not, many styles easily accommodate orthotics and inserts for treating high arches.
Some models feature removable inserts or even a sock liner that aids in orthotic insertion. Lightweight models with extra cushioning support tender ligaments while allowing you the freedom to run without pain.
Ultimately, you know your feet best and can narrow down your options based on our recommendations below. Considerations include whether you wear standard, narrow, or wide-width shoes, how severe your foot pain from high arches is, and if you suffer from prolonged pain due to the effects of high arches. There are also much recommendations for Best Cross Training Shoes for Any Athlete.
The Top 6 Best Running Shoes for Athletes with High Arches
In comparing the Best Running Shoes for Athletes with high arches, we explore the design and support of each shoe, the pros and cons, and what audience the shoes cater to. You should also check recommendations of Best Running Shoes and Insoles.
1. Brooks Men’s Glycerin 13 Running Shoe
Athletes with both narrow feet and high arches appreciate the support of the Glycerin 13 running shoes. Users report optimal fit and comfort, and some mention a reduced need for shoe inserts. Adequate cushioning with a mostly flat surface means no over-accommodation for supinated feet. The Brooks Women’s Glycerin 13 Running Shoe offers the same cushioning and supportive build of the men’s version.
- Short to no break-in period; comfortable out of the box
- Notable relief from plantar fasciitis
- Narrow fit
- Potentially difficult to size
Recommended for runners either high arches or flat feet and for those who need inserts in combination with a supportive shoe.Check Price on Amazon
2. New Balance Men’s 910v3 Neutral Running Shoe
- Cush+ midsole cushioning delivers ultra-soft, all-day comfort without sacrificing support
- Leather and mesh upper
- Comfort Collar helps prevent irritation and hugs the ankle for a superior fit
- NB Ultra Soft Comfort Insert
- All-terrain rubber outsole
With “neutral” in the name, it’s no surprise that New Balance’s trail running shoe features a removable footbed with lightweight padding. Adequate arch support and a firm sole gives good shock absorption and maintains stability throughout your run. As a trail shoe, these offer grip and shock disbursement in a lightweight form. For women, New Balance Women’s 910v3 shoes offer a feminine design and color scheme with the same comfort.
- Comfortable fit overall
- Breathable exterior keeps feet cool
- Sizing can be confusing with width specifications
Recommended for people who experience shin splints or other pain related to high arches.Check Price on Amazon
3. Saucony Women’s Triumph ISO 2 Running Shoe
- Neutral running shoe with highly-breathable mesh upper featuring lightweight synthetic overlays and ultrasoft ISOFIT inner-sleeve liner
- EVERUN top sole
- PWRGRID+ midsole
- SRC Landing Zone
- TRI-FLEX outsole
Light arch support plus insert compatibility makes these neutral shoes a good pick for runners. Neutral cushioning accommodates heavier runners and higher impact. Breathable upper mesh and lightweight construction make these a breeze to run in. See Saucony Men’s Triumph ISO 2 Running Shoe for men’s sizing.
- Breathable mesh construction
- Soft inner liner with cushioned support
- Sizing may present a challenge when ordering online
Recommended for people with high arches, those seeking a neutral footbed, and those who require inserts to run comfortably.Check Price on Amazon
4. Asics Women’s Gel-Venture 5 Running Shoe
- Rugged neutral runner in mesh with bright overlays
- GEL Cushioning System
- Removable foam sockliner accommodates orthotics
- Trail-specific outsole with multisurface traction
- High-abrasion rubber
An inner gel technology cushioning system cradles your feet and reduces shock. A removable sockliner allows you to use medical orthotics in combination with your running shoes. Adequate toe space and a rear loop to slide shoes on makes for a comfortable and accessible fit. Wearers report fewer plantar fasciitis symptoms and increased comfort. See Asics Men’s Gel-Venture 5 for men’s sizes.
- Multiple widths available
- Gel cushion technology
- More rigid than other running shoes in this class
Recommended for people with high arches, those seeking a neutral footbed, and runners who use medical orthotics.Check Price on Amazon
5. Altra Men’s Torin 3 Running Shoes
- Get Comfortable: Our brand-new Altra EGO MAX midsole foam that’s luxurious and light
- Stay Focused: Engineered mesh uppers are light, breathable and ready for the open road
- Stay Comfortable: Signature Altra FootShape toe boxes allow your toes to spread and encourages proper, low-impact form throughout your run
- Go Further: Balanced Cushioning platform places the heel and forefoot the same distance from the ground, which encourages low-impact landings
A mesh upper and midsole gives breathability while the rubber sole offers responsiveness. The footpad outsole claims to better map the bones and tendons of your feet in a more natural running form. A relatively flat insole lends itself to inserting orthotics. A roomy toe box allows for toes to splay naturally and prevents rubbing and blistering. See Altra Women’s Torin 3 Running Shoes for women’s sizes.
- Lightweight cushioning
- Comfortable fit
- Inconsistent sizing
Recommended for people with high arches and wide feet.Check Price on Amazon
6. New Balance Men’s M890v4 Neutral Light Running Shoe
- Lightweight running shoe with one-piece FantomFit upper featuring REVlite foam midsole and ABZORB shock-absorbing cushioning
- 8mm heel-to-toe drop
This lightweight model features a foam midsole and shock-absorbing cushioning. The one-piece upper prevents the bulk of similar running shoes and offers an ultra-light profile. Long-lasting construction paired with neutral cushioning and support gives the M890v4 our vote for the best lightweight non-minimalist shoe on the market. See New Balance Women’s M890v4 Neutral Light Running Shoe for women’s sizing.
- Accommodates orthotic inserts (removable insole)
- Lightweight and generous cushioning in heel area
- Sizing inconsistencies (run small)
Recommended for wide width wearers and those with high arches.Check Price on Amazon
Last update on 2022-06-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API